Monday, September 3, 2012

"A Picker"


Blogging is new to me.  I’m used to talking but not writing.  However, my wife enjoys typing and listening to my stories so she thought we should start a blog as a way to spend time together.  How do wives think these things up?

 
I guess you could say that I’ve been a “picker” all my life.  When I was young I would pick on my three younger sisters.  As a teenager, I picked up girls.  And I’ve been known to pick through discarded items on the side of the road.  During one of my recent walks through the pasture, I found an old cow bone. 


Being the picker that I am, I picked it up and took it home.  I polished it until it was smooth, shiny and resembled ivory.  I knew it was meant to be a knife handle.

 

I have a saw blade that I picked from an old saw mill about 15 years ago.  I cut some of it off to make my knife blade.
 

 
I draw the knife design on the blade and cut it out.  I then heat the metal with a torch and put it on the anvil and work the metal until I get the edge I need.  I use a finish grinder to finish the edge and polish it. 


Now where did I put the leather strips?  My knife needs a sheath.

1 comment:

  1. What awesome pieces he makes! Can't wait to hear more of his interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete